What is Personal Information?
Personal Information is information or opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether true or not, and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Other types of information that can be collected are:
- Sensitive Information: a subset of Personal Information, attracting a higher level of protection under the Act. It includes health, genetic and biometric information as well as information about race or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of political parties, sexual orientation and criminal record.
- Health Information: information or an opinion about an individual’s physical or mental health or disability, health preferences including future provision of health services, use of health services, bodily donations (e.g. blood, organs) and genetics.
Why Silky Oaks Collects Personal Information
Silky Oaks collects Personal Information so that we can provide the best and offer the most suitable service/s possible. It helps us to run our business efficiently and effectively and when you provide the most accurate and complete information, you get the best possible service from us.
We may collect the following types of Personal Information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- facsimile number;
- age or birth date;
- profession, occupation or job title;
- details of the services that we have provided to you or which you have enquired about,
- together with any additional information necessary to deliver those services and respond to your enquiries;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise; and
- information you provide to us through our activities and services, surveys or visits by our representatives from time to time.
When we collect Personal Information we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it.
We may also collect some information that is not Personal Information because it does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect anonymous answers to surveys or aggregated information about how users use our website.
Information Collected by Silky Oaks Websites
When you visit one of our websites, we do not try to identify you or collect Personal Information. However, you might choose to provide your Personal Information when you complete an online form or make an enquiry via the ‘contact us’ page. Our websites take every precaution to protect Personal Information collected and measures are in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of this information.
To help us keep our websites working optimally, our sites may collect statistics about visits, such as how many people visit our sites, which pages people visit, the domains our visitors come from and which browsers they use. This information will not be used to identify you.
Security of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your Personal Information. However, most of the Personal Information is or will be stored in client files which will be kept by us for a minimum of 7 years.
Access to Your Personal Information
You may access the Personal Information we hold about you so you can update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. Please contact us in writing if you wish to access your Personal Information.
In order to protect your Personal Information we will require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
Silky Oaks’ websites may collect ‘cookies’ when you access them. Cookies identify your IP address and browser type, but not your Personal Information. Whilst cookies enable better website functionality, you can choose to reject them if you wish.
Third Party Links
Silky Oaks has adopted the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Act). The APPs govern the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of your Personal Information.
A copy of the Australian Privacy Principles may be obtained from the website of The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at https://www.oaic.gov.au/assets/privacy/guidance-and-advice/app-quick-reference-tool.pdf
Silky Oaks Children’s Haven
PO Box 5157
Manly QLD 4179