The Child and Family Therapy Service is funded by the Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women to provide confidential counselling and therapy for children, young people, their parents and/or carers who are clients of the Department. We also provide counselling and therapy to members of the community for a small fee.
Therapy is provided by a multi-disciplinary team that operates 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
What services do we provide?
The program assists people to deal with issues including:
- Grief and loss
- Separation and divorce
- Parent-child relationship difficulties
- Parenting skills training
- Trauma, abuse and neglect
- Behavioural difficulties
- Dealing with difficult emotions
Who works in the family therapy team?
The team consists of experienced therapists with counselling qualifications in the areas of: creative arts therapies, psychology and social work. The therapists endeavour to meet the needs of clients by offering a broad range of therapeutic approaches and interventions, which may include:
- Creative arts therapies (art, drama, music, dance/movement and sand play therapy)
- Child centred play therapy
- Cognitive behaviour and solution focused therapies
A client’s rights to privacy and confidentiality are respected by the Child and Family Therapy Service with the exception of instances where a client’s safety is at risk. In these circumstances, the therapist would be duty-bound to involve other agencies as appropriate.
How do I make an appointment?
- An initial referral can be made by phone or in person by attending Silky Oaks
- Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women referrals are prioritised due to our funding, but all clients are assessed depending on need and urgency
- Clients may be booked in for an intake, placed on a waiting list or referred to a more appropriate service. (Waiting times may vary depending on demand at the time, but this will be clarified when the call is taken)
- A face to face intake is then arranged (this will be done with a parent or carer if the client is a child)
- A case review is undertaken and the most appropriate counsellor or therapist is allocated.
How to contact the Family Therapy Service
Enquiries about counselling can be made by telephoning Silky Oaks on (07) 3906 8888; or via email to email@example.com