Temporary Supported Accommodation
Silky Oaks Children’s Haven, Family Care and Support Program is funded by the Department of Housing and Public Works to provide centre-based support and temporary supported accommodation. The program caters for families who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness, and is located in the Manly, Wynnum and Redlands geographical areas. Families may be referred to the program by self-referral, community agencies, hospitals and government departments.
The program provides centre-based support at our Manly West location, which includes case management support, such as referral to support services, Department of Housing applications, practical assistance (i.e. showers and access to internet/phone), advocacy and emotional support. Families housed in our accommodation program are provided intensive, goal oriented case management with a focus to strengthen families’ ability to obtain and sustain future tenancies.
Our program operates from a ‘Housing First’ approach with the view to wherever possible, transition families from homelessness into stable, sustainable housing. This approach seeks to minimise vulnerable people having to move through multiple short-term, temporary living situations, which can be unsettling and prevent their stabilisation. The Housing First principles include:
- Accessing housing as quickly as possible, with ongoing support provided (where needed) to establish and consolidate the new tenancy
- Minimising moves between multiple short-term accommodation arrangements
- Providing tenancy sustainment support to keep people housed
- Working with other service providers to deliver coordinated services once housed
- Connecting clients with mainstream services to provide ongoing support directed at helping them to sustain their tenancy and future tenancies
- Facilitating connections to local community and social supports to build community connectedness and reduce social isolation
What accommodation is available?
We have a number of houses in the Manly, Wynnum and Redlands geographical areas and are also able to refer clients to housing providers in the greater Brisbane region. Our accommodation ranges from 2 bedroom unit complexes, to 4 bedroom homes.
What services do we provide?
- Intensive case management focused on supporting families with barriers to housing
- Individual case plans to address the family’s short/long term goals in relation to their housing needs
- Support for families accommodated with Silky Oaks, such as developing their knowledge and skills in parenting, budgeting, life skills, cooking and household maintenance.
- Support groups to reduce social isolation and provide information and education
- Information about and referral to relevant government or community supports
- Emotional and practical support
How long can the client stay?
We are classified as crisis accommodation and so are able to provide tenants with a 13 week tenancy.
How to make a referral to this service?
For enquiries about accommodation, please contact the Family Care and Support Team.
Phone: (07) 3906 8888